Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Radical Dependency

We all have something in us that pulls us towards a dependency on something or someone else. Why is this? Even the most independant woman will find herself in a position of dependency in some area of her life. No matter how hard we fight against it we can catch ourselves so easily becoming dependent on another person, food, our jobs, almost anything that, for a moment, makes us feel satisfied.
I believe that the Lord has shown me that He has created us with a need, a need that must be satisfied, but can only be satisfied by Him, and when that dependency doesn't belong to Him we will intrap ourselves in it somewhere else. Our fight against that need, that dependency, only leads us in a deeper dependency of something temporary, and in most cases, unsafe or unhealthy. We must allow Him to be our ALL in every area of our lives. We are designed to be dependent on something, but that dependancy can seldom be shared-- we cannot have two masters!
My prayer today is that I will allow the Lord to have ALL my need, ALL my dependency. That other people or things would not be were I place that part of me. I don't want to fight it because it is a losing battle. He has created us to be dependent, because of His desire to be our Everything.
So the question is 'Will we let Him?'
Chemical dependency, a need for a substance so strong that it becomes necessary to have this substance to function properly: He is our substance to function! That is radical dependency!

1 comment:

Kim Heinecke said...

This post reminds me of something I wrote a while back.
-- Confessions of an addict