Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Way We Think

Left and right the subject of 'thought life' has been coming up around me. I really think this is something big the Lord would like me to understand: the way I think matters, the words I say matter, and being positive moves things more then being negative. There is a lie that I have believed for too long: that if I think of the worst thing that could happen- then if it happens I'll be prepared and maybe it won't hurt as bad, and if I don't have high expectations then I'll avoid disappointment. This is backwards thinking and only results in mediocrity of living and fear. The below statement has really helped me to learn how my way of thinking can be changed and in the most simple of terms:

Success or failure in life is created by how you think.
Joshua 1:8 says "...but you shall meditate on the Word of God day and night...for THEN you shall make your way prosperous and THEN you shall have good SUCCESS."


God, renew our minds with your word. Let us Hope and Trust in You. Let us choose to think upon things that are pure, admirable, true, and praise worthy. Let us speak out words that encourage and bring life. Let us build up the people around us and even ourselves. Let us not doubt, but believe. Let us meditate on Your word, and establish it in our hearts and minds. Let our thoughts and words be a sweet smelling aroma to Your throne.

2 comments:

DebbieP said...

Starr I am so glad you posted this today. I have always been like this, not allowing myself to hope for positive things to happen, or even to look forward to positive things in the future. My family moved many many times when I was growing up and I know that led me into this way of thinking, but I also know this way of thinking does not please God. Thank you for your encouragement as I started praying today about asking God to help me change my way of thinking. God bless you sister!

jenn said...

Thanks for this. I needed to hear it. I have to fight myself not to be negative. And like you, I've always felt that if I plan for the worst, then at least I won't be taken by surprise. But it's no fun to live that way.