Wednesday, October 15, 2008

9 Year Old Boys like Girls..... WHAT?????

Okay, someone hand me a paper sack. I've been on the verge of hyperventilating for the last couple of weeks now!!

4th Grade is a whole new world, and the fact that I have never been a boy before seems to be keeping me at a disadvantage.

I would like to confess that I thought it was girls that start noticing boys young, I didn't see this coming. I didn't know that 'my' son would care yet.
Why God? WHY ME?--------- in a whiny pitiful voice.

Now, to my sons defence, he is not doing anything bad--- well, except for last week when he was hollering at the girls on the bus to 'call him sometime' in his new 'cool kid' voice.
(I wish I could take a picture of the look on my face right now-- I'll describe-- my eyes are really big, with shock and fear, and my eyebrows are squeezed together, in dismay, and I'm frowning.)

Someone out there tell me this is normal. Is it? HUH? HELP ME!!!!!

Okay, deeeeeeeep breath. He's a good kid. He knows about Jesus-- he loves Jesus. He knows that if he's not ready to marry--- which based on the fact that HE IS NINE -- then he doesn't need to be in a relationship-- well, and the fact that he doesn't know what a 'relationship' really means says a lot too.
I asked him yesterday-- What's the difference between being someones friend and being their 'boyfriend'? and he said 'I don't understand the question.'
Nough said...........

He came off the bus on Tuesday all upset because kids were accusing him of liking this girl Taylor-- which he does, but still he was mortified and VERY upset. I asked him ' Are girls a big topic with your friends this year' and he said 'Well mom, last year was all about wrestling with the guys, and playing with bugs, and this year is more about girls.' -- okay-- there's that lump in my throat-- swallow hard-- ughh.
I think the thing that is hard for me is I can tell that this change is effecting Matthew, that he is somewhat confused and doesn't know how to process how he is feeling or manage these new emotions or the new topics that are coming up.
We have been having really good conversation, but I still feel so inadequate as a mom in this area.

To recognize the good:
This has caused me to increase my prayers for my son, and lean on God's truth in His word.
I have seen my son come to me with things that I know some kids don't talk to their parents about.
I've realized the importance of just listening to Matthew.

Well, I just really needed to get that all out. I'm sorry this is such a jumbled up crazy post, but it's all I've got in me right now.

If you feel lead please pray for Matthew and for me.

Thanks!

3 comments:

jenn said...

Why can't we just keep them in big plastic bubbles until they're like 25? Wow. I'd be freaking out too. I know it's normal, but still... I don't think I'll ever be ready for this (yeah, I know Shiloh's only two, but I'm thinking ahead). It's great that he discusses this stuff with you. That's the important thing. I'll pray that you can have peace about it and that Matthew will get through all the peer pressure stuff. (Seems like it starts younger than when we were kids, doesn't it?)

DebbieP said...

Here's my take on the whole thing! I think that boys his age really aren't into girls yet. I think it is a peer pressure thing. Kids are always in a hurry to grow up, and this is the ultimate expression of growing up. You are there for Matthew, guiding him and raising him in a godly fashion. He will be fine. You will be fine. You are doing the exact right thing - being in tune with Matthew and helping him talk out and process everything. You keep that up and all will turn out great. Face it, kids like to be accepted and be considered cool. This too shall pass. You are doing a great job!

Shanda said...

You're definitely blazing the trail for me. Caleb is 7, and he has some girl friends, but no girlfriends. Although there is this one girl he says is cute.

My 10 year old girl, on the other hand, will admit to liking noone even though her face turns all shades of red when she sees a picture of Zac Efron.

Keeping the dialogue open and constant is my no. 1 right now. I try to keep my freaking out to a minimum. Because when I freak out, they shut down. Spoken from first hand experience.