Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Letters Passed Through Prison Bars

Many of the people in my life are going through hard times right now; in fact 'hard times' may be an understatement. Just last night I heard two of my dear friends describe this time as sitting in a room with all the lights turned off-- grasping walls for the light switch, but one thing else was acknowledged- we are not in that room alone, but the Lord sits in there with us; seeing things that only He can see.(Psalm 139:12 even the darkness will not be dark to You; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to You.) He is there making sure that all ends result to His Glory.
One thing that has amazed me, as seeing these sisters go through the dark, is the encouragement that has still been overflowing out of them even in the midst of their 'chains for Christ'. I have watched a set of 'Pauls' continue to reach out of their own circumstances (their own prisons) and still choose to be a light to others that may even appear to be in the same darkness.
I have heard them say things that so closely match the words of Paul:
Phil. 1:3 I thank my God every time I remember you. 4 In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy 5 because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, 6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
7 It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart; for whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God's grace with me. 8 God can testify how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus.

I am so thankful that none of us are in places where we cannot be encouraged or hugged by each other, and even more thankful that in the midst of chains and darkness some are still willing to stand and hope-- even regarding other's chains.
The Lord has really been ministering to me that in this place, as hard or dark as it may seem, that there is treasure to be found, and still a light to shine-- His light.
My heart for this post is primarily to exalt the Lord in ALL His goodness, and to thank Him for how greatly He is shining out of the people He has so graciously placed in my life, but I also want to say thank you to all of those that have chosen to be like Paul, and in the midst of their own chains to reach out to others and still allow the Lord to use them!! Your reward will be great!!

Colossians 1:10 And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, 11 being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully 12 giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light.


Timothy 4:7 You are fighting the good fight, you are finishing the race, you are keeping the faith. 8 Now there is in store for you the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to you on that day—and not only to you, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

Lord, Thank you that sorrow may last a night, but Your joy comes in the morning. Thank you for what You are developing in Your people as they are being refined by You, and thank you that You never give us more then we can handle-- that You always bless us with the correct measure of grace and faith for whatever You are having us walk through. Lord, fill those that are in the dark places today with Your Holy Spirit light. Help us to continue to hope and continue to love. Guard our hearts from bitterness and our minds from despairing thoughts. Bless those that have chosen to continue to walk in compassion and be used by You even in the places where they may feel like they have nothing to offer. Let me, God, be one of those 'Pauls' that are willing to reach through my darkness (prison bars) with a letter of hope, peace, and encouragement.
In Jesus' Mighty Name-- SO BE IT !!!!!!!

I'll praise You while it's raining.
I'll trust You while it's raining,
Because the suns going to shine again!!!!

5 comments:

jenn said...

Beautiful post. And you're so right, God is good, even in the midst of darkness. It's amazing to see how he will work in the middle of our problems and situations.

DebbieP said...

AMEN Starr, thanks for that encouraging lesson. You are a great teacher! I am also blown away by the many people that have been focusing on God through their dark trials, and even able to encourage us!

Kathryn said...

Yay! If God be for us, who can be against us? I loved your title and your post. We might be knocked down, but we're not knocked out and no matter how dark it gets, His light will shine through.

2 Cor 4:7-10

"But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us....We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body..."

I love you so much!

Anonymous said...

Way to encourage us! You just put it nicely.

Praying for you and your son!

Anonymous said...

Please come visit my blog. I have named you one of my Honest Blogs!

:)