Friday, October 24, 2008

Out of the Darkness



I have a testimony of the Lord's goodness everyday. He has truly been so good to me, but today I would like to take you back to the testimony of 1998.

This testimony is about a young lady, not yet 18 years old. A girl with bleach blond hair, and empty blue eyes. This girl is about as far from God as a girl could be: strung out on drugs and in a very unhealthy relationship. She's on a bus heading south alone. She left school 4 credits from graduating, and a family that loved her. With only $15 in her pockets, and a backpack full of cloths she stepped onto the Grey Hound of Escape. She was leaving for 'love'. A counterfeit love, but still the only love she new.
How could she be found? She was so far from the light, so far from truth. How could any good come out of such rebellion?

Psalm 139:
7 Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
10 even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.
11 If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me
and the light become night around me,"
12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day,
for darkness is as light to you.

So far from home, and so far from truth, this little girl (trapped in a young woman's body) would find her salvation.
John 1: 46"Nazareth! Can anything good come from there?" Nathanael asked. "Come and see," said Philip.
Can anything good come from a little girl running away from home and school? Can anything good come from someone choosing to heap themselves in drugs to escape? Can anything good come from two men robbing a mans house? 'Hmmm, where did that come from?' you ask.
In the depths, a Hand reached down through a door that was opened through the most unlikely circumstances. Two men robbing a house resulted in an invitation to church. Much could be said about the details of this story, but we shall keep it simple for the testimony bares witness regardless. Needless to say even in the midst of wrong company God came down to save.
The Sunday following the robbery that young girl walked into a place she had never known before, actually even more then that, an atmosphere she's never felt before. She walked into a church filled with the presence of God. She could not comprehend the raised hands, the smiles or tears on other faces, or the elaborate songs of praise coming out of so many mouths.
She didn't know why, but she wanted to weep, either that or run-- how could one take in such a presence-- such a presence of love. Is this how it was suppose to feel?
A call was made for changed life, for forgiveness, for salvation. She felt the ropes of love pulling her to stand-- and up she went, but immediately she sat back down.--- 'I don't need this' she thought, 'I'm fine'. As the pastor continued to pray and the rest of the church interceded for the girl that showed such a struggling desire for Jesus, He pulled tighter-- rapping her in His love-- who could resist? She couldn't, and on that day (May 24, 1998) salvation came out of the darkness, and she was never the same again.

I think sometimes we all need a reminder of exactly how big our God is. He is not held back by the darkness of this age. The people that we fear cannot be reached I can guarantee that He can reach them. I know for a fact because He found this little girl, named Starr, in the most unlikely place, and reached down DEEEEEEEP to rescue her!!!

6 comments:

Brandy Thixton said...

Bawling my eyes out. Thanks for that. =)

Kathryn said...

What an amazing story. Our God is unbelievably wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

jenn said...

Wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing with us. I need to be reminded daily that nothing is too big, or too far gone for God. Thank you.

DebbieP said...

Thank you so much for being so transparent. God is so good, and I am so glad He brought you to COTN!

Robin said...

Beautiful!!!!! Wow girl, so glad you sharred your testimony! God is sooooo good, all the time. Keep in touch.

Anonymous said...

You know that I just love you to pieces. You have a great testimony. He has given that to you. You have blessed us with sharing it.

You are being called to do His work. You hear it, You know. :)